KANDAHAR (Pajhwok): The acting mayor on Sunday announced setting aside 622 million afghanis in the new year’s budget mostly for development activities in the capital of southern Kandahar province.
Mohammad Nasim Razai told a press conference at the governor’s house that the municipality had planned 25 projects in Kandahar city in the new solar year, which begins March 21.
He said the projects, which include roads, parks, public toilets and others, would cost most of the 622 million afghanis budget.
He said roads in the fifth and seventh security districts of Kandahar City as well as the Mir Bazaar road and the bypass road would be constructed in the new year at a cost of 121 million afghanis, funded by the World Bank.
The mayor said work on the road projects would be launched within two months, acknowledging that commuters and heavy vehicles faced hardships travelling on the bypass road due to its rundown condition.
The mayor also provided information about the Ahmad Shah Baba home’s acquisition, saying a total of 18 residences in the area had been purchased for 239 million afghanis to change the historic site into a museum.