Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Govt accused of seeking SC verdict on tenure extension

Govt accused of seeking SC verdict on tenure extension

author avatar
21 Apr 2019 - 14:58
Govt accused of seeking SC verdict on tenure extension
author avatar
21 Apr 2019 - 14:58

KABUL (Pajhwok): Eleven presidential candidates, saying the continuation of the incumbent government after May 22 would be illegal, claimed on Sunday the Presidential Palace was trying to pressurise the Supreme Court to allow it to work until the election.

The allegation was leveled against the Palace by Ahmad Wali Massoud, Ibrahim Alkozai, Abdul Hakim Torsan, Rahmatullah Nabil, Shahab Hakim, Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi, Enayatullah Hafeez, Ghulam Farooq Nijrabi, Faramarz Tamana, Hanif Atmar and Noor Rahman Lewal.

The presidential election is scheduled for September 28 this year, while the tenure of the incumbent government ends on May 22. A total of 18 have so far jumped into the battle for the presidency.

“In line with documents available to us, President Ashraf Ghani will get a verdict from the Supreme Court on the extension of the existing government,” the candidates said in a joint statement.

Pressurising the apex court and getting its verdict in one’s favour was against the constitution and national interest, they said, warning such efforts would bring the supremacy of the court under question.

They stressed the need for implementation and respect for the country’s supreme law, under which the President Ghani’s tenure would end on May 22.

But deputy presidential spokesman Shah Hussain Mustafavi in a video message said the current government still had six months to work.

nh/mud

Views: 1

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more