Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Govt again asks Taliban to declare ceasefire

Govt again asks Taliban to declare ceasefire

author avatar
5 May 2020 - 09:27
Govt again asks Taliban to declare ceasefire
author avatar
5 May 2020 - 09:27

KABUL do not reduce violence, says a presidential aide.

President Ghani’s spokesman Sediq Seddiqi urged the insurgent movement to take the coronavirus threat seriously and consider declaring a ceasefire.

Taliban’s truce would enable the government to focus more effectively on combating the Covid-19 pandemic, Seddiqi told a news conference here on Monday.

He went on to warn: “If the Taliban-linked violence does not cease, we will be unable to achieve the ultimate goal of peace.”

Also on Monday, the Ministry of Defence said the security forces had repelled dozens of Taliban attacks in 15 different provinces over the past 24 hours.

Earlier in the day, the Taliban claimed responsibility for a truck bomb on a military base in southern Helmand province, saying dozens of security personnel had been killed.

mud

Views: 0

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more