Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Afghan forces get control of Herat airport, military camp

1 Jul 2021 - 13:08
1 Jul 2021 - 13:08

KABUL (Pajhwok): Italy has completed withdrawing its troops from Afghanistan, ending nearly two decades of deployment.

Italian Defence Minister Lorenzo Guerini announced on Wednesday handing over the Herat’s airport and a military camp to Afghan forces.

The Herat airport had been under the control of the Italian military for the last 20 years. During the period, some 50,000 Italian soldiers were deployed to Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, local military officials confirmed the Italian forces had also transported their military equipment. They blew up many armored vehicles and heavy weapons before their exit.

Maj. Gen. Syed Aimal Pacha, commander of an Afghan Air Force Division, said: “No military equipment was handed over to us by the Italians.”

Herat Governor Abdul Saboor Qane said: “Our security and defence forces are ready to defend our country and western zone residents.”

mud

 

Views: 505

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more
Exit mobile version