KABUL CITY (Pajhwok): At least three people, including a child, were killed and more than 80 others were wounded as a huge explosion rocked Kabul City on Monday morning, officials said.
After the explosion that took place at around 8:45am, a group of gunmen entered a building in Pul-i-Mohammad Khan area. The assailants engaged security forces in limits of the 16th police district, where gunshots could still be heard.
Nasrat Rahimi, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, told media persons it was a car bombing that allowed a group of gunmen to enter the Gualbahar residential buildings in Pul-i-Mohammad Khan area of Kabul city.
He said three people, including a child, were killed and another 84 civilians were wounded. Of the injured, 25 were discharged from hospital after treatment.
He added two assailants had been so far eliminated and another suspect was arrested in the area.
The Ministry of Education (MoE) in a statement said 51 students were among those wounded in today’s incident.
The MoE urged all the warning parties to pay special attention to teachers, students and their employees’ safety.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, wit their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying the assailants targeted the Ministry of Defense (MoD) logistic and engineering center in Kabul. He claimed dozens of security forces were killed.
He also confirmed some civilians were injured and some buildings damaged due to the powerful blast.