TALOQAN (Pajhwok): Officials in northern Takhar province on Tuesday denied security forces had been defeated in two districts, saying fierce clashes were underway between militants and Afghan forces.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid earlier claimed the fighters had captured Yangi and Ashkmash districts after inflicting heavy causalities on security forces during attacks.
But Takhar police spokesman Abdul Khalil Asir said the Taliban attacks on the two districts had been repulsed. He said a fierce fighting between police and insurgents still ongoing and he was personally leading the gun battle in Dasht-i-Qala locality.
He did not say if security forces had suffered any casualties as claimed by the Taliban.
Meanwhile, a resident of Darqud district said the Taliban had launched their attacks on that district as well.