KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Scores of people have been killed and over 200 wounded during ongoing clashes in northern Kunduz province, a local representative said on Saturday.
Mohammad Yousuf Ayoubi, the provincial council head, told Pajhwok Afghan News 250 civilians had been wounded and several others killed over the past five days. He said exact number of dead people was not available.
He accused the central government of being irresponsible to the security challenges faced by the province and said the unity government leaders did not honored promises they pledged during election campaign.
President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) had pledged to boost economy and ensure security in the province, said Ayubi adding that no promise was honored and it was a huge injustice to the people of Kunduz.
He said more than 80 percent of Kunduz people had left their homes and fled to neighboring provinces after fierce clashes erupted in the province.
Ayoubi said currently civilians’ dead bodies were lying on roads and people couldn’t reach to them because of the continued fighting.
He asked the unity government and the United Nations to pay heed to the province’s deteriorating security situation; if not a humanitarian disaster would occur due to the fighting and shortage of food.
Dr. Hameed Alam, provincial public health department acting director, said more than 300 wounded civilians had been evacuated to the provincial hospital who were currently under treatment, adding exact figures of people killed were not available.