KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Afghan security forces’ special units have retaken the areas lost to Taliban recently in the capital of northern Kunduz province, where the situation is returning to normal, officials said on Tuesday, but residents hold different views.
Kunduz City came under multi-pronged Taliban attack last week, when they took control of different parts of the the provincial capital. Fighting have since been ongoing between security forces and militants near the governor’s
But Col. Masoom Hashimi, the provincial police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News the security forces were able to reclaim key areas of the city on Monday night from the Taliban.
Security forces cleared many areas, including Bandar Khan Abad, 2nd police district, Bala Hesar, Nawabad and Khwaja Mashhad, Hashimi said, adding currently every house was being searched for insurgents.
He said 10 insurgents were killed in a recent clearing offensive, “The insurgents no more have the guts to fight against security forces. Currently we are organising our teams to regain control over the 3rd police district and attack rebels there.”
However, Kunduz residents rejected the remarks of security officials and claimed the rebels still existed in the city.
Shafiq, a resident of the city, said: “Rebels are still active in Seh Bandar area and a part of Brinj Bazaar is under security forces. We want the government to conduct a huge operation against insurgents in the areas to stabilise the troubled province.”
Ali, another resident of the city, said the government had failed to ensure security, adding there was need for drastic change in the security leadership of Kunduz to improve the situation.
“People were killed and their houses set ablaze, rendering residents homeless; but insurgents are still present around the city. I want the government to replace security bosses. If such a step isn’t taken, the situation will get worse.”