JALALABAD (Pajhwok): More than 100 weapons security personnel had recovered during search operations in eastern Nangarhar province were handed over to the Disarmament of Illegal Armed Groups (DIAG) program officials here on Thursday
The weapons numbering 108 were handed over to DIAG officials at the Nangarhar Police Headquarters.
Governor Shah Mahmood Miakhel said the weapons included 10 Kalashnikovs turned in by surrendering Taliban while the remaining 98 weapons were recovered during operations.
The governor reaffirmed the government’s resolve not to allow anybody in districts and cities to carry illegal arms.
Police Chief Abdul Raqib Mubarez said crackdown on illegal arms was underway in Jalalabad City. He said some people kept illegal arms at their homes.
Col. Shah Aqa, head of DIAG in the east, said around 2,000 weapons had been transferred to them this year in the east, out of which 1,500 wepaons were recovered in Nangarhar.