Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

51 fighters killed, 23 hurt in Nangarhar raids, firefight

24 Oct 2020 - 06:49
24 Oct 2020 - 06:49

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): At least 51 Taliban insurgents have been killed a as result of airstrikes and clashes in eastern Nangarhar province, officials claimed on Saturday.

Attaullah Khogyani, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the incidents took place in Surkh Rod and Sherzad districts.

He said 31 insurgents were killed and four others wounded during a clash with special forces in the Gazak area of Surkh Road district.

The militants were killed in strikes by the Afghan Air Force. Two vehicles, weapons, two landmines and two hideouts of the fighters were also destroyed, he added.

According to Khogyani, two individuals, including a woman, were injured as a mortar shell fired by Taliban hit their house.

Separately, 20 rebels were killed and 18 others wounded during a firefight in the Hashimkhel area of Sherzad district two days back.

Mohammad Haroon Yousafzai, spokesman for the 201st Selab Military Corps, said the militants attacked security check-posts, taking advantage of darkness.

He said the bodies of 16 militants had been evacuated by the Red Cross. Security forces captured weapons and ammunition from rebels.

sa/mud

Hits: 1

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more