KABUL (MoHE) on Thursday said it was working on a security plan for government universities and asked parents to send their children to Kabul University without any fear.
At least 22 people were killed and 27 others wounded in an armed attack on Kabul University last Monday.
Noor Ahmad Darwish, deputy higher education minister, told a conference here, “We never imagined that Kabul University would be attacked, we have to reconsider the security plan for future, we could not think the enemies of Afghanistan would target Afghanistan’s biggest education center.”
He said work on preparing a security plan for state-run 39 universities was underway and it would help prevent such incidents in universities in future.
Officials who were responsible for security of Kabul University had been changed and besides the University Protection Unit, personnel from the Quick Reaction Force had also been deployed for security of the center, he said.
Faisal Amin, in charge of students’ affairs in MoHE, said that parents could encourage their children to attend their classes without fear and should not let enemies of the country achieve their goals.
“The goal of the enemies is promotion of ignorance and illiteracy, but they will never achieve it”, he said.
Amin said classes in the Kabul university had resumed on Wednesday, asking students not to be worried about their security and continue their education.
He said 18 students and an officer of the university were killed and 39 other students were wounded in the attack. The families who lost their beloved ones in this attack were assisted with 100,000 afghanis each and those injured with 50,000 afghanis each by the Presidential Palace, he added.
There are 25,816 students in Kabul University taught by a thousand teachers, Amin said.