KABUL (Pajhwok): At least eight civilians were killed and over 30 others wounded on Saturday morning when a barrage of rockets hit Kabul, officials said.
The rockets were fired from two Mazda vehicles in limits of the 4th police district in Gul-i-Surkh square and Tahia-i-Maskan areas at around 9:00am. One of the vehicles carried a rocket launcher that was torched.
Noorullah Tarakai, deputy spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Health, said five bodies and 25 injured individuals had been evacuated to hospital so far.
But Tariq Arian, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, said eight people were killed and 31 others wounded as a result of the rocket strikes. He indicated that casualty figures could change.
Arian added more than 30 rockets struck different parts so of the capital city, including a house in the 10th police district, the Burj-i-Barq area of Chahar Qala, Kocha-i-Tahiri, Niamat Plaza, clos to Salam University, Gul-i-Surkh square, Sadarat square, Pul-i-Bagh Omomi, Spin Zar Wat, near the National Archive, 500-Family and Lesa-i-Maryam areas.
Arian said “terrorists” mounted the rockets on a small truck and set them off. An investigation was under way to find out how the vehicle entered the city undetected.
The rockets were also posted on social media accounts. Several images circulating on Facebook showed damaged cars and a hole in the side of a building.
The MoI spokesman said two small “sticky bomb” explosions were also reported earlier on Saturday, including one that hit a police car, killing one policeman and wounding three others.
Of the rockets, one hit a newly constructed-building in Gul-i-Surkh square and a private hospital named Sana. Two buildings were damaged. Farhad, a doctor at the hospital, said no one had suffered casualties in the incident.
Mohammad, a municipality worker, said he was cleaning the road in the area where the rockets hit.
“The initial rockets were fired from Tahia-i-Maskan and then I came to know that another Suzuki vehicle fired rockets near me and people started fleeing the scene. I hid behind a wastebasket,” he added.
He said no body could be seen in the vehicle, from which the rockets were fired.
Meanwhile, the Taliban denied involvement in the rocket strikes, saying: “We don’t allow firing blind attacks into populated areas.”