KABUL (Pajhwok): Kabul welcomed the new US administration’s plan to review the February 2020 peace deal with the Taliban.
Presidential spokesman Sediq Sediqi said on Saturday that the US-Taliban agreement had so far failed to controlling militant-linked violence or pavng the way for a ceasefire.
“The Taliban have not lived up to their commitments,” the presidential aide said in a statement, which came after a telephone conversation between Jake Sullivan, the new US national security adviser, and his Afghan counterpart Hamdullah Mohib.
A day earlier, the Biden administration said it was looking to review the pact between Washington and the Taliban.
Mohib told the US NSA that Kabul wanted to work toward a permanent ceasefire and durable peace in Afghanistan.
In a series of tweets on Saturday, Mohib claimed Sullivan affirmed that the partnership with the government of Afghanistan and remained a priority and a key to US national security objectives.
“We will continue close consultations in the days and weeks ahead,” the official added.