ASADABAD (PAN-led foreign troops on Sunday killed a child and injured three others people in a new incident of civilian casualties during an operation in the Ghaziabad district of eastern Kunar province on Sunday, officials and residents said.
The casualties occurred during a clash between foreign troops and militants in the Yargam area before noon, residents said, blaming foreign troops for killing the 8 to 13 years old child and injuring three other people.
The governor, Syed Fazlullah Wahidi, confirmed the incident, but said he was unable to say who killed the child.
But the police chief, Brig. Gen. Khalilullah Ziayee, said civilians suffered casualties in firing by foreign troops.
NATO-led ISAF media office in the east said an investigation had been launched into the incident.
Dr. Farooq Sahak, head of Kunar civil hospital, confirmed receiving three injured people, including a young girl, at the hospital, with one of them in a critical condition.
The child’s killing was the third such incident this week. NATO-led foreign troops on Friday night raided a house in the Hesark district of neighbouring Nangarhar province, killing a 12-year-old son of a police officer.
Nearly 500 residents of the district on Saturday took to the streets to denounce the killing. They placed the dead body in front of the district headquarters while chanting slogans against foreign troops. Four protestors were killed when police opened fire at them after the protest had turned violent.
On Thursday, Afghan and foreign troops killed a policeman and a girl during a raid on their compound in Nangarhar.