JALALABAD (PAN): Border police and militants each claim to have inflicted heavy casualties in an engagement in eastern Nangarhar province, authorities said on Sunday.
Militants besieged a border police outpost for over two hours Saturday night in the Nazian district of the province, destroying the police station. Brig. Gen Aminulla Amarkhel, commander of the border police in the Eastern Zone, told Pajhwok Afghan news that no policemen had been killed or injured.
But Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid, who claimed responsibility for the attack, disputed Amarkhel’s account, saying over the telephone that four policemen had been killed and that the attackers had suffered no casualties.
Meanwhile, witnesses and area residents claim to have seen four militants killed and six injured.
Amarkhel added that all the militants were Pakistani, and that police had recovered explosives and medicines from them.
GET IN TOUCH
SUGGEST A STORY
PAJHWOK MOBILE APP