MAHMUD RAQI (PAN) soldiers, two policemen and an Afghan civilian suffered casualties in an attack in central Kapisa province, an official said Wednesday.
In a telephone interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, ISAF confirmed an attack on its troops and speculated that it may have been caused by a rocket propelled grenade (RPG).
ISAF also confirmed that a number of its soldiers had suffered casualties but did not provide exact figures or say whether there were fatalities.
But Abdul Hakim Akhundzada, the Tagab district chief, said that a suicide attacker had struck International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) soldiers at around noon near an ISAF base in the Tagab district, where French troops are based.
In a 3pm phone interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, Akhundzada added that he thought three ISAF troops had been killed and three people, including two local police, were injured in the attack. But he said the number might change.
He said the Tagab-Alasai road was closed by ISAF and no one was allowed to move by that road.
n investigation has been launched into the incident, he said.
The spokesman for French troops, however, denied that a suicide attack had targeted them in Tagab district.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said killed or injured 27 French troops.
He added that the attack occurred in the Joy Bar area of Tagab district before noon when French troops and local police were exiting the home of a local police commander, Shirin, after a private meeting there.
He said the attack was conducted by a Taliban fighter named Murad Ali, a resident of Nangarhar. He added that high-ranking French provincial recontruction team (PRT.
Mohammad Ismaeel, an eyewitness, told Pajhwok Afghan News: “Two local police were injured in the suicide attack.”
Ismaeel added that the suicide attacker struck the passing patrol of French troops, though he had no details about ISAF casualties.