JALALABAD (PAN): Striking car dealers in eastern Nangarhar province were provided medical assistance by a team of doctors after their condition deteriorated on Monday, officials said.
On Sunday, dozens of car dealers went on hunger strike against the Cabinet’s decision on disassembling and selling parts of the vehicles awaiting legal documents.
Nangarhar Public Health Director Dr. Baz Mohammad Sherzad said a team of doctors was dispatched to the protest tent, where 10 strikers fell unconscious due to a drop in blood sugar levels.
The director warned the protestors’ condition was critical and if they continued to fast, their kidneys could stop working.
Haji Malang, who led the hunger strike, said all protestors were committed to continuing their strike until the Cabinet’s decision was revoked.
Haji Arif, who regained his senses, told Pajhwok his 81 cars had been stuck at the customs office. He had borrowed heavily from moneychangers to buy the vehicles.
He said death would be better for him because the lenders visited his house on a daily basis, seeking back the money.
Another businessman, Dr. Mukhlis, said the number of hunger strikers had increased to 100. The provincial government was unable to resolve their problem and that the provincial council had promised arranging their meeting with President Karzai.
Mukhlis said more car dealers were expected to join the hunger strike camp on Tuesday.
Provincial council member, Angiz Shinwari who visited the camp, vowed continued support to the car dealers. He confirmed a number of strikers’ condition was critical.
The public representative warned if any of the protestors died, the Cabinet would be held responsible.
Nearly 2,700 vehicles had been stuck at the Nangarhar customs office over the past several months.
GET IN TOUCH
SUGGEST A STORY
PAJHWOK MOBILE APP