BAMYAN CITY (Pajhwok): A former local commander accused of harassing civilian in the Waris district of central Bamyan province joined the peace process on Thursday, an official said.
Police chief Brig. Gen. Khudayar Qudsi told a news conference in Bamyan Commander Sarhang Wafa had surrendered along with 12 supporters and 15 weapons. “Bamyan residents will now live in peace.”
Provincial peace committee head Mohammad Sadiq Aliyar said people were concerned at a rise in Islamic State activities. Illegal commanders gave IS a chance to enhance their influence, he added.
He believed the surrender of Sarhang Wafa, who had been operating against the government for the past 14 years, could help improve the security situation in Bamyan.
The commander, encouraged by local elders to join the peace drive, was ready to answer any complaints against him in court, Aliyar said.
About a month ago, civil society activists and residents staged a protest against the commander and accused him of torturing civilians. The protestors complained Wafa had beaten a civilian in Surkh Joi area.