Pajhwok Afghan News

78 Baghlan security men rescued from Taliban siege

PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): The governor said about 78 security officials, including local police and uprising members, were on Wednesday rescued after being besieged by Taliban militants who captured Surkh Kotal locality of northern Baghlan province.

Abdul Sattar Barez told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces launched an operation to rescue of the trapped security men early on Wednesday, killing 13 Taliban gunmen.

Barez said the security forces made ‘a tactical retreat’ from Surkh Kotal and would launch an operation to recapture the area.

Earlier in the day, Taliban captured the Surkh Kotal locality after several days of fighting, with security forces managing to flee.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the Surkh Kotal locality had fallen into their hands and scores of security men had been killed or wounded.

Meanwhile, relatives of security officials trapped in Tapa-i-German locality, said they had no information about their family members.

Mohammad Karim, relative of a soldier, said two of his cousins in Afghan Local Police ranks were under Taliban’s siege. They claimed two policemen were killed and as many wounded in a Taliban attack early in the morning.

nh/ma

Views: 4

Exit mobile version