FEROZKOH (Pajhwok): Local officials in western Ghor province confirmed on Sunday the killing of 21 pro-government militia and security forces and 25 militants during the battle for Awshan area in Shahrak district.
A day earlier, local officials had said that Awshan area fell to Taliban militants after an attack.
While security officials had said only two security personnel were killed or wounded in the attack.
However, Mohammad Kabiri, administrative chief of Shahrak district, told Pajhwok Afghan News that six Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers and 15 pro-government forces had been killed in the incident.
Another 11 security forces were wounded and as many Taliban killed in the battle, said the government official.
Seven vehicles including four military tanks and two ranger pick-ups of Afghan forces were seized by militants, Kabiri said.
Besides Awshan area, several other villages of the district also fell into the hands of militants without any resistance, he said, claiming the militants planned to launch attacks on Shahrak and Dolina districts.
Kabiri said the government had promised airstrikes on the militants but no air support reached the district so far.
Ghor police spokesman Mohammad Iqbal Nizami said the government was ready to defend district centers with all its force, stopped short of going into details.
The Taliban’s website said the rebels killed several Afghan forces and seized their vehicles and motorcycles besides capturing Awshan area.
mds/ma
GET IN TOUCH
NEWSLETTER
SUGGEST A STORY
PAJHWOK MOBILE APP