<p>PUL-I-KHUMRI (Pajhwok): The residents of Khenjan district in northern Baghlan province on Wednesday reopened the <a href="/en/afganistan/kabul" class="glossify-link">Kabul</a>-Mazar-i-Sharif highway for traffic conditionally.</p>
<p>Earlier in the day the residents closed the highway in Salang area against traffic to protest against the road’s bad condition.</p>
<p>Salang district police Chief Col. Quatratullah Sapand told Pajhwok Afghan News dozens of Deh Salah valley residents had closed the highway to demand the government reconstruct the Salang highway.</p>
<p>Muhiuddin, a protestor, said the Kabul-Mazar highway was a rundown condition in Salang area, creating great inconvenience for local residents.</p>
<p>District Chief Lutfullah said that officials of the Public Works Ministry held a telephonic contact with protesters and promised them that the construction work of the highway in Salang would begin till coming week.</p>
<p>He said the residents ended their protest after the officials assured them to begin the <a href="/en/reconstruction" class="glossify-link">reconstruction</a> work.</p>
<p>Earlier the protesters warned they would continue to protest until the government ordered repair of the highway in their area.</p>
<p>Meanwhile, Sheer Mohammad, a diver on the Kabul-Mazar highway, said he had been plying the route for the past ten years and the highway’s condition deteriorated with each passing day.</p>
<p>He said if the road was reconstructed, commuters would be able to reach their destinations on time.</p>
<p>On the other hand, Lt. Gen. Mohammad Rajab, the Salang highway maintenance commander, confirmed the route’s condition had turned bad compared to the past.</p>
<p>nh</p>