MAIMANA (Pajhwok): The Ghormach district in northern Faryab province completely fell into the hands of Taliban insurgents on Monday after security forces exited the town.
A credible source, whishing anonymity, told Pajhwok Afghan News the northern zone military officials decided to rescue the soldiers from the 1st brigade of third battalion after two years of besiegement.
A senior government official also told Pajhwok the security of the Ghormach district had been handed over to the 207thZafar Military Corps again to replace the troops from the Shaheen Military Corps.
He said in case militants attacked the convoy while exiting the district, the coalition forces would target them from the air.
Residents living along the highway route in Ghormach and Qaisar districts had been told not to allow the rebels to enter their villages and target security forces from there, he said.
Six aircrafts of Afghan and foreign forces would target the rebels if they attacked the exiting security forces on the highway.
An influential figure in the district said talks were underway between officials of the battalion and the Taliban by mediation of tribal elders for withdrawal of the government forces and handing over the district to the rebels.
Gen. Amanullah Mubeen, commander of 109thShaheen Corps in the north, said the Ghormach district previously belonged to Badghis province and was temporarily included in Faryab province during Hamid Karzai government
“Now it has been decided that the district’s security should be handed over to the Zafar Military Corps and current security forces would go to Faryab.”
The Ghormach district changed hands several times last year.
Faryab Governor Naqibullah Faiq said around 1,000 Afghan forces have been killed over the past three years in Ghormach district.
Meanwhile, civil society activists welcomed the withdrawal of the Afghan forces form the troubled district.