Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Taliban control 80pc of Faryab area, says governor

Taliban control 80pc of Faryab area, says governor

author avatar
28 Nov 2018 - 17:53
Taliban control 80pc of Faryab area, says governor
author avatar
28 Nov 2018 - 17:53

MAIMANA (Pajhwok): The governor, provincial council members and civil society activists on Wednesday accused the security sector ministries particularly the Ministry of Defense of deliberately paying no attention to the deteriorating security situation in northern Faryab province.

They accused the Ministry of Defense of ignoring the fast deteriorating security situation in the province for being ethically biased. They warned if the situation continued, it would lead to a humanitarian crisis.

Civil society foundations network head Syed Zainuddin Abidi told Pajhwok Afghan News that two districts of Faryab were fully controlled by the Taliban and another eight districts were on the brink of collapse.

He said security forces were only protecting government buildings in most of the districts.  “For the last one year, the Taliban have been in control of the Maimana-Jawzjan and Maimana-Qaisar highways and due to this reason, the people of Maimana live in constant fear.”

The activist said the fall of districts one after another and besiegement of districts in Faryab showed the central government was deliberately destabilizing the province for political purposes.

He feared a devastating humanitarian crisis if clearing operations were not conducted against the insurgents and the Jawzjan-Maimana highway was not reopened soon.

Women for Afghan Women office head in Faryab Rabia Danishjo also said the Taliban were in control of major highways and had surrounded 10 districts. She asked the central government to take immediate steps for improving security in the province.

A member of the provincial council, Abdul Ahad Baig, said the districts fell and Maimana city was besieged as per President Ashraf Ghani’s plan because he wanted to weaken the bases of powerful leaders in the north like Gen. Dostum, Atta Mohammad Noor and Mohaqqiq.

The public representative alleged the security sector ministers and Chief of Army Staff Gen. Mohammad Sharif Yaftali were neglecting the situation in Faryab for their ethnically-biased approach.

Another member of the provincial council, Fazl Haq Mohammad, said some 20,000 families had been displaced as a result of the fall of districts and insecurities.

Meanwhile, Faryab governor Naqibullah Faiq said 80 percent of Faryab province was in control of the Taliban and accused the Ministry of Defense and the army chief of ethnic discrimination and claimed the ministry had paid no attention to Faryab over the past one month.

But MoD spokesman Javed Ghafor rejected the allegations of the governor, provincial council members and civil society activists.

He said the MoD did not act on ethnic lines and that the Taliban were inflicted heavy casualties in Faryab last night as part of operations to protect the people of the province.

But presidential advisor Abdul Hassan, who led a delegation to Faryab, said the concerns of the provincial council and the civil society regarding the security situation in the province were real. He said he would share problems and demands of the people of Faryab with the president in written form.

ma

Views: 45

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more