HERAT CITY (Pajhwok): Residents of five districts of western Herat province have been facing mobile phone service blackout for the last one month, an official said on Saturday.
Hikmatullah Hikmat, the Shindand district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News during an interview that all telecommunication services had been suspended in to five southern districts for the last one month.
He said mobile phone services were not available in Pashtukoh, Zirkoh, Kohzor and Zawal districts since a month,
He said local residents of the five districts used to walk hundreds of kilometers to find solution to their problems.
Hikmat added they had discussed the issue several times with the authorities concerned but to no avail.
Ashqullah Alizai, Herat Telecommunication department head, confirmed the issue and said telecom companies had suspended their services since last one month in the above districts due to security threats and after a number of telecom towers were set alight.
He said efforts were underway to resolve the issue which had been shared with the National Security Council (NSC) and some other high government officials.
Meanwhile, Governor Abdul Qaium Rahimi told Pajhwok that clearing operations were underway in southern districts of the province and telecom towers would be shifted to areas where Taliban militants had no control.