Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Foreign rebels fighting alongside Taliban in Kandahar: Minister

1 Mar 2021 - 09:38
1 Mar 2021 - 09:38

KABUL (Pajhwok): Senior security officials are visiting restive districts of southern Kandahar province, where fighting has intensified in recent months.

The Taliban have stepped up attacks on the security forces in Arghandab, Zherai, Dand and Panjwai districts, driving many families from their homes.

On Sunday, Interior Minister Massoud Andarabi claimed the elements posing a threat security in the province had been eliminated.

Hundreds of Taliban fighters, including some commanders, had been killed during operations in Arghandab over the last fortnight, the minister said.

More than 650 insurgents, according to Andarabi, have been killed in the operation to retake parts of Arghandab district.

Andarabi accused the Taliban of breaching their commitments to reducing violence. The minister also blasted the rebel group of continuing to maintain ties with international terrorists.

Foreign insurgents were fighting alongside the Taliban against government forces in Kandahar, the minister alleged, without elaborating.

Deputy Minister of Defence Shah Mahmoud Miakhil said the security forces had thwarted Taliban’s designs to capture Kandahar and Helmand provinces.

As a result of successful operations, he asserted, many areas had been retaken and cleared of Taliban by the security and defense forces.

Due to the fighting, the number of displaced families in Kandahar has gone past 11,500 families, reckon provincial officials.

mud

 

Hits: 133

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more