Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Consumer prices in Afghanistan fall, first deflation since 2021

2 Jul 2023 - 19:57
2 Jul 2023 - 19:57

KABUL (Pajhwok): The consumer prices in Afghanistan fell minus one percent in April 2023, marking its first deflation since April 2021 and following a 1.9 percent rise in the previous month.

Costs dropped for food products (-3.3 percent vs 2.4 percent in March), due to the reduction in prices of bread and cereals, meat, oils and fats, spices and non-alcoholic beverages, Trading Economics reported.

On the other hand, inflation accelerated for non-food products (1.8 percent vs 1.4 percent). Monthly, the CPI declined 1.3 percent, after a 1.1 percent decrease in March, the report said, quoting National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA)

Afghanistan Inflation Rate

In Afghanistan, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) is divided into two main groups: Non-Food Items, accounting for 52.2 percent of total CPI and Food Items making up the remaining 47.8 percent.

The non-food items are mainly composed of: housing (19.1 percent), household goods (11.9 percent), health (6.2 percent), clothing (4.6 percent) and transportation (4.3 percent). The most important food items are: bread and cereals (14.6 percent), meat (7.5 percent), vegetables (6 percent) and fresh and dried fruits (5 percent).

Abdul Qayum Arif, a professor at Kabul University’s Faculty of Economics, told Pajhwok cited many reasons for the decrease in inflation, calling it a positive thing from an economic point of view.

He added the value of the afghani against the US dollar increased due to its circulation in the economic cycle and as a result prices of materials decreased.

He said the government had tightened control over food and raw materials’ prices which were lower compared to many countries, especially neighboring countries.

“It is a very good thing that the prices have been kept low because most of the people of this country are in difficult economic conditions.”

Meanwhile, Zabihullah Mujahid, the spokesman of the Islamic Emirate, an article on his Twitter today “Economic struggle and its positive results” said: “Research shows that the inflation rate in Afghanistan has decreased to minus one, and the price of materials in Afghanistan is lower than many developed and developing countries.”


Views: 571

Related Topics



Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.


Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more
Exit mobile version