KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Nearly 30,000 students have been deprived of education due to the closure of 50 schools in recent years in northern Kunduz province, local officials said on Sunday.
Director of Education Maulvi Ismail Abu Ahmad said as a result of fighting in Kunduz province, nearly 30,000 students dropped out of school in recent years.
“There are almost 50 schools in the province, located either close to or in the middle of the scene of fighting. A number of these schools were bombarded, depriving thousands of students of education,” he said.
The repair of Alchin Naswan High School, one of the war-damaged schools, got underway recently. The school has been on the front line of the conflict for 10 years now.
Nearly 2,000 students of the school have been going without education as a result of its closure, according to the director.
Officials say the affected students will return to school in the new academic year.
On the other hand, residents and students of the war-torn province, hoping to return to school, want the government to focus on their education.
Amanullah, a student whose school had been on the front line, has not been able to go to school for three years. He asked the government to pay heed to the education of youth.
sa/mud