Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Explosives-laden car found ahead of Kunduz rally

27 Feb 2012 - 19:24
27 Feb 2012 - 19:24

KABUL burning protest was staged, officials said on Monday.

The Ministry of Interior in Kabul said terrorists wanted to cause casualties among demonstrators in the Dasht-i-Archi district, but the bid had been thwarted.

The seizure came at a time when residents planned to stage a protest, it said, adding an explosion could have killed and wounded a number of people.

Syed Sarwar Hussaini, Kunduz police spokesman, said the car had been parked on a road in the area. He claimed terrorists wanted to target the demonstrators. Subsequently, residents called off their protest, he said, adding 141 kilograms of explosives had been placed in the vehicle.

On Sunday, five people were killed and 57 others injured after they attacked the UNAMA office in Kunduz City during an anti-US protest. Governor Muhammad Anwar Jagadlak said militants had penetrated Saturday’s demonstration.

Dozens of people have been killed and wounded in violent nationwide protests sparked by the alleged desecration of the holy book by US troops at the Bagram airfield in central Parwan province.

mds/ma/mud

Hits: 0

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more