Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Charity body asks MoD to return its land

author avatar
26 May 2012 - 20:41
author avatar
26 May 2012 - 20:41

KABUL): A charity organistaion on Saturday accused the Ministry of Defence (MoD) of grabbing 58.5 acres of land belonging to the organistaion’s founder, the late Majeed Zabuli.

A representative of the “Zabuli Charity Foundation” told reporters in Kabul that another 25 acres of Zabuli’s land had been seized by a person named Syed Karim Baha in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangahar province.

Mohammad Karim Khurram further claimed a house belonged to Zabuli in Herat province had been illegally occupied by Energy and Water Minister Ismail Khan.

His claims come a month after Office of Oversight and Anti-Corruption head Azizullah Lodin told Kabul University teachers that Ismail Khan was involved in corruption. Before that, Lodin had told the Wolesi Jirga, lower house, that the assembly had granted trust vote to a minister accused of embezzling $80 million.

Khurram said Zabuli in his will had mentioned that 70 percent of income from his property, worth $200 million, be used to develop the education sector and the remaining 30 percent to help poor families.

He said all legal documents of the seized land had been produced before the judicial organs, but no action had so far been taken to retake the land from its illegal grabbers.

He said the organistaion wants the land back so it can be used according to the deceased’s will.

MoD spokesman Gen. Zahir Azeemi said since it was a legal issue, he could not comment on it.

ma/vp

Hits: 2

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more