Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Changes likely in list of poll contenders

author avatar
19 Nov 2013 - 15:10
author avatar
19 Nov 2013 - 15:10

KABUL): The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) on Tuesday hinted at changes in the final list of presidential and provincial council runners if charges against certain candidates were substantiated.

Abdul Sattar Sadat, the watchdog’s head, told a news conference in Kabul allegations of war crimes, murder and administrative corruption had been levelled against some contenders. However, he did not name anyone.

While urging prosecutors to investigate the allegations with a sense of urgency, he said they had referred the complaints to the Attorney General Office.

If convicted by courts after AGO investigations, the candidates would be struck off the final list, Sadat said. The final list issued today features 11 presidential and 2706 provincial council contenders.

The number of presidential wannabes went up to 11 in the wake of thoroughgoing investigations into objections, according to Sadat, who would not name the candidate included in the final list.

These 40 provincial council candidates removed from the list for document forgery had been introduced to judicial organs, he said, adding: “For sure, this is the final list, but based on the election law, we are authorised to disqualify contenders until election day.”

Under Article 64 of the law, ECC has the right to exclude contenders from the final list if they are found ineligible.  

The ECC had not removed from the list the candidates facing allegations of murder, war crimes and administrative corruption, because no court had convicted them yet, Sadat concluded.

ra/mud

Hits: 0

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more