KABUL (Pajhwok): Some lawmakers on Sunday claimed that Farkhanda had contacted foreign embassies before being killed, but officials denied the assertion as groundless.
Farkhanda, 27, was killed and burnt by a mob in front of Shah Du Shamshera shrine in the heart of Kabul after she was accused of burning the Quran.
Ministries of Hajj and Interior, as well as a fact-finding committee, say they have not come across any evidence of the young woman desecrating the holy book.
Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulumi and Hajj Minister Faiz Mohammad Osmani were summoned by the Internal Security Committee of the Wolesi Jirga to brief MPs on the issue.
Keramuddin Reza Zada, a lawmaker and member of the panel, said there were reports that prior to being murdered Farkhanda had made calls to some embassies.
Without naming any specific embassy, he said the woman’s case should be elaborately investigated since there were a lot of rumours.
Fawzia Kofi, another legislator member of a fact-finding committee, suggested Farkhanda’s phone calls be heard since rumours about her contacts were spreading fast.
Her colleague Abdul Ahmad Durrani condemned Farkhanda’s killing but said: “If someone burns the Quran I swear none of us would be able to control our emotions. The Quran has been burnt and it shouldn’t be condoned.”
Haji Zahir Qadir, Wolesi Jirga first deputy speaker, stressed the investigations should be comprehensive and the fact-finding committee must demonstrate neutrality.
Interior Minister Ulumi, however, said: “Farkhanda was a victim of some inflamed emotions. Lack of proper knowledge about religion was the main reason behind her murder.
“We have no evidence that proves she had made contact with foreign embassies,” he said, adding in coordination with the National Directorate of Security (NDS) they would hear her phone calls.
Hajj Minister Osman acknowledged no evidence had been found that Farkhanda had burnt the Quran. If such evidence was found they would share it with the public, he promised.