KABUL (Pajhwok): Dozens of people on Monday rallied in capital Kabul against what they said the government’s silence over the abduction of 31 passengers in southern Zabul province.
The passengers were on their way from Kandahar to Kabul when they were snatched from two buses a month back by unknown gunmen. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the abduction.
More than 150 people, including family members of the adducted men, and civil society activists carried out the protest rally in front of parliament house in Kabul.
They also accused the government of paying no attention to the deteriorating security situation in Ghazni province. The adducted individuals belong to Ghazni.
Qamar, whose husband was among the abductees, told Pajhwok Afghan News her spouse was the family’s solo bread-winner.
“It has been 36 days my husband is held hostage along with 30 others, but the government has done nothing to rescue them so far.” She urged the government to ensure the abducted men were reunited with their families safe and sound.
Shah Gul, a student from Ghazni, said the government should not delay the rescue mission. “For more than a month now, the 31 families have been in trouble and spent sleepless nights.”
Khalil Raufi, a civil society activist, said: “It is the sorry state of affairs when both the president and the CEO are doing nothing to rescue the men from the clutches of their kidnappers.”
The protesters issued a statement that asked the government not to take the abduction saga lightly and be responsive to the public. They also expressed concerns about the spike in insecurity in Ghazni.
The parliament in its today’s session also urged the government to take stern action against the abductors and secure the release of the hostages.