Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Civilian deaths spark angry protest in Nangarhar

Civilian deaths spark angry protest in Nangarhar

author avatar
25 May 2019 - 18:35
Civilian deaths spark angry protest in Nangarhar
author avatar
25 May 2019 - 18:35

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Residents of eastern Nangarhar province on Saturday staged a protest rally against what they claimed the killing of two children and their parents by security forces.

The protestors from Khogyani and Shirzad districts brought the dead bodies to Jalalabad city, the provincial capital, and closed the Kabul-Jalalabad highway in Surkhrod district for few hours against traffic.

The angry protestors attempted to enter the city and place the dead bodies in front of the governor’s house, but security forces did not let them do so.

Abdul Ali Khan, a protestor and Shirzad district tribal council member said the National Directorate of Security (NDS)’s 02 Unit conducted raids on civilian homes in Toto locality of the district late Friday night.

He said two children and their parents were killed and three other children of the family were orphaned as a result of the nighttime operation.

He said after the operation, they brought the dead bodies to the governor’s house to ask the government why the children and their parents were killed.

Aziz Khogyani, another protestor and a civil society activist, said if the killing of innocent people continued, a day would come when people would cut off their relation with the government.

Meanwhile, Attaullah Khogayni, the governor’s spokesman, said the NDS 02 unit had conducted operations in Toto locality of Shirzad district and killed ten Taliban militants.

He said a Saracha model car was escaping from the area when the NDS 02 unit forces opened fire on it and in which two three children, a woman and two men were killed. He said the issue had been shared with authorities in Kabul.

Ajmal Omar, a member of the Nangarhar provincial council, also confirmed the incident and said the victim family was shifting a sick child to hospital when came under attack.

He urged the government to take measures steps for preventing such incidents in the province as it was not the first incident of its kind.

pk/ma

Views: 6

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more