Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

US begins troops withdrawal from Afghanistan

30 Apr 2021 - 11:06
30 Apr 2021 - 11:06

KABUL (Pajhwok): The White House has confirmed that the US military has begun its withdrawal from Afghanistan and proactively deployed additional troops and military equipment to protect forces in the region, according to US media report on Friday.

“Potential adversaries should know that if they attack us in our withdrawal, we will defend ourselves, [and] our partners, with all the tools at our disposal,” White House deputy press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters traveling on Air Force One.

“While these actions will initially result in increased forces levels, we remain committed to having all US military personnel out of Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021,” she said, adding that the Biden administration is intent on a “safe and responsible” exit from the war-torn country.

The Pentagon has temporarily provided B-52H Stratofortress aircraft to US Central Command, the combatant command that oversees American operations in the Middle East. A US Navy carrier strike group is also in the region to provide support.

Pentagon spokesman John Kirby has previously said that Defense Department leadership will continue to assess the need for additional military capabilities as the departure of US and coalition forces proceeds.

Earlier this month, Biden announced a full withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, ending America’s longest war.

The removal of approximately 3,000 US service members coincides with the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which spurred America’s entry into lengthy wars in the Middle East and Central Asia.

nh

Hits: 237

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more