Pajhwok Afghan News

Slow pace of repair work on Jalalabad roads irks residents

JALALABAD (Pajhwok): The slow pace of repair work on broken roads in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, has irked local residents.

The residents criticize the municipality and say the slow pace of repair work on roads affected their daily tasks.

The municipality launched repair work on broken and bumpy roads four months ago, but is yet to complete the project. While the construction company officials say heavy traffic during daytime has obliged them to continue the repair work during nighttime.

The residents of Jalalabad are not happy with the slow pace of work by the construction company and ask the contractor to speed up its work.

Nizamuddin, a resident of Jalalabad city, told Pajhwok Afghan News that reconstruction works of the roads were going at a snail’s pace, which created problems for residents and commuters.

He said: “When the company begins work at one point, it blocks traffic flow on the entire road and the traffic is diverted to another route, which causes traffic jams. The company must speed up the work prior to winter season”.

Naqibullah, another resident, told Pajhwok Afghan News: “Most of the roads are broken and need repair, officials of municipality must supervise the work of the construction company and ensure speedy work, months elapsed but the important parts of the city are yet to be reconstructed”.

Mohammad Yaqub, another resident, criticized the poor quality work by the construction company and added: “The quality of work is poor, the roads are not leveled and water accumulates on them and the newly repaired roads will soon break into pieces, the work need supervision of the officials”.

Officials of the municipality say that 80 percent of repair work on the roads has been completed and the remaining 20 percent work will be completed in the stipulated time.

Bakhti Jan Murad, the spokesperson of the municipality, told Pajhwok Afghan New that repair work on broken roads was launched four months ago and it will be completed in the upcoming two months.

Murad said: “The roads’ repair work is given to a construction company in four districts of Jalalabad city. About 80 percent work has been completed and the remaining will be completed in next two months. As the city is too crowded, the company is working during nighttime and the municipality is supervising its work as well”.

The roads’ repair works will cost 4.9 million afs paid from the municipality’s revenue and a total of 4,672 square meters broken parts of roads will be repaired, according to officials of the municipality.


Views: 117

Exit mobile version