Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

President Ghani, team pursuing personal goals, alleges Nabil

20 Dec 2020 - 18:16
20 Dec 2020 - 18:16

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Pajhwok): Former spymaster Rahmatullah Nabil on Sunday accused President Ashraf Ghani and his team of pursuing their personal goals in the name of democracy.

Addressing a protest against the abduction of a 9-year-old boy in Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of northern Balkh province, Nabil said Afghanistan awaited a dangerous future and the Afghans needed to be cautious about current issues.

The former National Directorate of Security (NDS) director called on the Afghans not to give ethnic and regional color to the voices calling for justice in different parts of the country.

Nabil accused President Ghani and his team of pursuing their personal goals under the guise of democracy.

“I have no complaint against Ashraf Ghani because his thoughts, mind and actions are not based on republican principles. In my opinion, Mohammad Ashraf Ghani is not the president either, but one thing is clear we all have the right as we have made sacrifices and have the right to live with dignity under the umbrella of this system.”

He demanded that neither the government nor ordinary Afghans should underestimate the current political situation.

“Dangerous and big conspiracies have been hatched for Afghanistan, we must all be vigilant and careful,” said the former NDS director.

Nabil called on people across the country not to ethnicize their demands for justice.

Referring to the ongoing peace talks, he said there was still no national consensus on the peace process. He said Afghanistan should be included in the peace talks and its people should be informed about the talks.

Meanwhile, the family of the 9-year-old boy abducted from Mazar-e-Sharif and protesters are calling on the central government to play its part in rescuing Abdul Rauf.

Mohammad Nabi, the father of the abducted child, told Pajhwok Afghan News he last received a message from the abductors 10 days ago. He added that the kidnappers were demanding $1.5 million for his son’s release.

He also criticized the government for failing to release his son with all its might.

Assadullah Attar, a protester, said they had been protesting for about a month but the government was yet to come up with a satisfactory answer.

He warned if their voice was not heard, they would extend their protest from northern provinces to capital Kabul and the gates of the presidential palace.

Balkh police spokesman Adil Shah Adil told Pajhwok Afghan News that police were making their efforts to rescue the abducted child.

He added that three people had been arrested in connection with the case in separate operations.

Adil called on people and protesters to give the police time to carry out their duties properly.

Abdul Rauf was abducted about 55 days ago in Mazar-i-Sharif.

About a month ago, at the invitation of the Turkmen Social Council, a protest began in Mazar-i-Sharif and a protest tent was set up in front of the governor’s office.

ma

Hits: 6

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more