Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

In sizzling summer, power cuts haunt Kabul residents

In sizzling summer, power cuts haunt Kabul residents

author avatar
2 Jul 2024 - 11:10
In sizzling summer, power cuts haunt Kabul residents
author avatar
2 Jul 2024 - 11:10

KABUL (Pajhwok): A number of residents of Kabul complain about hours of long power outages in sizzling summer days, while officials say efforts are underway to address the issue.

People from various police districts of Kabul say electricity supply has become problematic in the capital and the light remains off for more than 10 hours daily.

Ahmad Masood, an inhabitant of 4th police district, said: “Usually, our electricity is cut off at 8:0 0am and we are subjected to prolonged load-shedding. This can’t be tolerated in this hot weather.”

Bashir, a resident of 13th police district, urged the officials concerned to find a solution to the problem, which had disrupted the routine life of Kabul residents.

“Power outages have increased considerably. We are supplied electricity one night and denied the facility another night. We want the power utility to supply us sufficient electricity,” he added.

Nasir Ahmad, hailing from 16th PD, said power outages had spiked after Eid-ul-Adha.  The light comes late at night and is cut off early in the morning.

Other residents also urged the Da Afghanistan Breshna Shirkat (DABS) to consistently supply electricity to them.

Meanwhile, DABS officials acknowledge the current power supply situation is not sustainable and the process will return to normal soon.

Hikmatullah Maiwand, spokesman for the power utility, linked the increased power outages to greater electricity consumption in the summer. He said efforts were ongoing to address the problem.

Officials say nearly 70 percent of the electricity needed in Afghanistan is imported from Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Iran. The remaining 30 percent is supplied from domestic sources.

kk/mud

Views: 30

Related Topics

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more