Language

Trump envoy, Hamas leaders discuss Gaza plan in Egypt

By Khwaja Nasir Ahmad Sediqi

Aug 17, 2026 - 09:45

Views: 10

KABUL (Pajhwok): US President Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy Jared Kushner has met with several Hamas leaders in Egypt to discuss a proposed plan for Gaza, which Israel has rejected, a media report said on Monday.

Al Jazeera reported that Hamas leaders briefed Kushner on alleged Israeli ceasefire violations in Gaza.

A Palestinian source told the news agency that Kushner said the United States rejected any plans to displace Gaza’s residents.

“These are actions that maintain the ceasefire; begin to transfer all governing responsibilities to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza; ensure that Hamas has no role in Gaza’s future administration,” another official familiar with the matter told Al Jazeera.

The proposed plan would also require Hamas to relinquish control of Gaza and hand over its weapons and military infrastructure.

The report attributed these claims to an informed source and did not say that Hamas had officially agreed to surrender all its weapons.

Hamas political leader Khalil al-Hayya attended the talks. Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad, Qatari diplomat Ali Al Thawadi and a senior Turkish official were also present.

Board of Peace envoy Nikolay Mladenov and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who is also a member of the board, accompanied Kushner at the meeting.

Kushner’s visits to Israel and Egypt are part of efforts to narrow differences over Trump’s latest roadmap for Gaza, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described last week as “unacceptable” to Israel.

hz/kk