JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Five civilians have been killed and eight others arrested during a raid by National Directorate of Security (NDS) personnel in eastern Nangarhar province, residents alleged on Sunday.
The governor’s office acknowledged the midnight operation but did not provide details. The raid took place on Saturday night, residents said.
Some civil society activists and residents of Behsud district rallied in front of the Govenror’s House this morning against the NDS raid.
Raees Khan Gharani, an organiser of the rally and head of the Youth Reform Association, said the NDS personnel from 02 Unit raided the guest room of a house in Gardi Kas area.
Five people, including some guests, were killed, three injured and five others arrested by the security forces during the raid.
Burhan Serat, another protestor, asked the government to investigate the incident. He also demanded proofs against the dead of affailiations with militant outfits.
Khair Rahman Momand, another participat of the rally, said the government, besides killing innocent people, tried to stop them from staging the rally.
The govenror’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said an investigation into the incident had been launched to confirm identities of the victims and detainees.
Another source, wishing anonymity, told Pajhwok Afghan News civilians had been killed in the overnight raid. Civilian casualties have increased in security operations recently.
In the Hesarak district of Nangarhar and Badpesh district of Laghman, security forces recently inflicted casualties on civilians in similar operations.
Government officials say security forces are often targetted by militants from civilian homes. Therefore, they argue, ordinary residents suffered casualties.