JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Local officials on Thursday said that Taliban militants had blown up three culverts on the second highway between Kabul and Jalalabad in Surkhrod district of eastern Nangarhar province.
According to officials, the culverts’ destruction disrupted traffic flow to Surkhrod, Khogyani, Shirzad and Hesarak districts.
Nangarhar governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told Pajhwok Afghan News that the Taliban destroyed the three culverts on the second highway between Kabul and Jalalabad in Surkhrod district around 3am last night.
He said that no one could travel to the four districts using the route after the culverts were blown up.
A resident of Fathabad area of Surkhrod district, who wished to go unnamed, told Pajhwok that there was also a heavy fight in the area last night, but he was unaware about any casualties.
Nangarhar officials say district officials have been directed to take immediate action for reconstruction of the culverts and reopen the road for people’s movement.
A few months ago, a bridge was blown up in the same area. Taliban militants have not yet commented about the destruction of culverts so far.