Language

Don't you have an account with Pajhwok Afghan News?

Click here to subscribe.

Kunduz clashes displace hundreds of families

2 May 2018 - 10:48
2 May 2018 - 10:48

KUNDUZ CITY (Pajhwok): Hundreds of war-displaced families from the Qala-i-Zal district of northern Kunduz province have fallen on bad times.

Last Tuesday, Taliban insurgents attacked the Aqtapa area of the district. Several villages, including the district center, fell into the hands of militants.

Provincial council member Aminulla Adid, while delivering assistance to the displaced people, told Pajhwok Afghan News, around a thousand families had left their homes.

He expressed concern over their situation, lamenting that no agency had so far addressed the affected families’ problems. “More than a thousand families have shifted to Dasht-i-Abdan and are living under the open sky in the hot weather.”

Haji Nazar Mohammad, 60, living in a small tent with 12 members of his family, said his area was overrun by the militants. The security forces had destroyed their house with mortar shells, he claimed.

Nazar Mohammad, breaking into tears, said: “We are left with nothing. All we could do was to bring our children. We have left behind all household items. Our house has been destroyed. We seek assistance from the government.”

Allah Birdi, another displaced man, said several ordinary people had suffered casualties. But he was unaware of the exact figures. “Our children have fallen sick. We want the government to help us.”

On the other hand, the governor’s spokesman confirmed 900 families had been displaced from Qala-i-Zal. Four teams had been dispatched to the area to survey the affected families for proper assistance, he concluded.

sa/mud

Hits: 0

GET IN TOUCH

SUGGEST A STORY

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

PAJHWOK MOBILE APP

Download our mobile application to get the latest updates on your mobile phone. Read more