JALALABAD (Pajhwok): After 11 years, Afghan security forces were able to deliver supplies to the Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province by land, local officials said on Friday.
They said the opening of the highway to Hesarak district provided access to all 22 districts of Nangarhar by land.
Brigadier General Nasir Ahmad Safi, commander of the 4th Brigade of the Afghan National Army in Nangarhar and Commander of Operations in Hesarak and Sherzad districts, said that the road leading to Hesarak district had been fully opened.
He said now government officials, security forces and civilians could commute on the road.
He added that operations were still underway in some areas of Hesarak district and all areas would be cleared of insurgents soon.
The Hesarak and Sherzad districts were not accessible by land for almost a decade.
Gen. Naseer Ahmad Safi said he had started building bases and outposts in the district to ensure lasting security.
He said they opened a 75-kilometer road to the district and cleared many areas of insurgents.
He added that residents of the district were rescued by security and defense forces from violence of the insurgents who would no longer be able to operate in the area.
“The insurgents planned to turn Hesarak into their base,” Safi said, adding that before reaching the target, the rebels were severely defeated and Hesarak’s security was widened.
Sherzad and Hesarak districts could not be accessed by land for years. But during the latest operations, the roads in these districts have been opened and secured.